You can’t read a magazine, newspaper, or watch TV these days without seeing a story on the importance of healthy living. I’m not talking about fad diets and gimmick exercise equipment sold on infomercials – I am talking about no-nonsense practical ways to improve health through sensible diets and regular exercise. Based on the feedback from our employees, we are taking this seriously at Chippenham and Johnston-Willis Hospitals, and launching the “Let’s Get Moving” campaign – a start to a long-lasting commitment to being healthy individually and as a community.
To jump start this initiative, you will see a few changes happening immediately:
- Nutrition: We will be offering new combo value meals with healthy choices in our cafeterias, with clearly noted nutrition metrics for the primary dishes.
- Take the Stairs: We will be showing the powerful effect of taking the stairs, rather than the elevator, by publicly posting the potential caloric benefit. Commitment to walking up and down one or two flights of stairs a day will build stamina and help everyone lose weight.
- Walking Trails: Employees have asked for opportunities to walk or exercise at lunch or break time, so we will be designating areas at both campuses (a hiking trail at Johnston-Willis and a parking area loop at Chippenham) with noted distances and a few work-out stations incorporated where possible.
- Gym Discounts: We have secured discounts at local health clubs for employees, as well as other fantastic health benefits. Access them via HCArewards.com to start living healthier today.
In addition to the great benefits featured above, we have updated our HCA Rewards portal to include the H2U website, healthy recipes, fitness tips, and nutrition advice. We will also be starting exercise classes at both campuses (stay tuned for more details!), active participation in local charitable events (walks, runs, and cycling events) with CJW teams, and a continuation of our local farmer’s market with fresh fruits and vegetables on Fridays.
If you’re looking for some immediate motivation and activity tracking, below are some suggestions for app downloads on your smartphones:
- Health/Wellness: HCA Virginia Physicians mHealth, AskMD
- Nutrition/Weight Loss: Fooducate, Lose It!, My Fitness Pal, Delicion
- Exercise: Nike+Running, Nike+ Training Club, Endomondo, Fitocracy, Sworkit
- Diabetes Management: Glucose Buddy, mySugr
Finally, our Employee Advisory Group surveyed employees and a few other ideas we are reviewing include:
- A “biggest loser” style competition
- Hospital-sponsored athletic teams
- Health drives
How else would you recommend we encourage each other to be role models for a healthy lifestyle at Chippenham and Johnston-Willis? Please leave your feedback here on the blog, or contact me directly.